Safety measures for Amarnath yatra: SC gives J&K 2 weeks time
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday granted two weeks time to the Jammu and Kashmir government to take a decision on measures to be adopted for making the annual Amarnath Yatra safe.
A bench of justices BS Chauhan and Swatanter Kumar asked the state government to take a decision on the various recommendations made by a high power committee appointed by the apex court.
It posted the case for further hearing on October 12.
The apex court had on July 20 had set up a committee to recommend measures to prevent the growing number of casualties among Amarnath pilgrims saying it has become a permanent problem and a regular affair.
The court had passed the order after taking suo motu note of media reports of pilgrims` deaths allegedly due to lack of proper facilities and medical care for them.
The committee comprises secretaries of various departments including those from the ministries of Environment and Forest, the Home Affairs and the Health and Child Welfare, besides the Jammu and Kashmir chief secretary.
The court had asked the committee to visit the shrine and give the report to Jammu and Kashmir governor who is also the chairman of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board, responsible for holding the annual Amarnath pilgrimage.
The apex court had also ordered that the committee would include directors general of state police, paramilitary forces CRPF and BSF and the Border Road Organisation, besides the CEO of Sri Amarnath Shrine Board and an environmentalist, to be nominated by the Jammu and Kashmir Governor.
The committee was to examine and report on various issues which include widening of passage, checking pilgrims` health, improving medical facilities for them, deployment of adequate security personnel and assessing environment impact, the court had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP