Sarpanch shot dead by suspected militants in Pulwama
Srinagar: Suspected militants tonight gunned down a sarpanch affiliated to the ruling National Conference (NC) in Pulwama district of south Kashmir, police said.
Ghulam Mohammad Lone, 45, was shot by the militants inside his residence at Kulpora village, 35 kms from here, they said.
Lone, who was associated with ruling NC, died on the spot, they said.
No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for Lone`s killing.
Militants have targeted several panchayat members, killing six of them, in the Valley since the Panchayat elections were held in April 2011.
This is the sixth instance in the last eight months in which a sarpanch has been killed in the state.
While three sarpanches were killed in September last year, another was shot dead in January.
On February 24, sarpanch Javed Ahmed Wani was shot at and critically injured by the suspected militants inside his house in the Kreeri area of Baramullaat.
Wani, who was also affiliated with to the NC, was rushed to a nearby hospital where he succumbed to injuries.
On January 11, sarpanch Habibullah Mir was shot dead in Sopore township of Baramulla district in north Kashmir, prompting Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to order more security to panchayat heads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?