`SASB, govt conspiring to curtail Amarnath yatra`
Jammu: Amid controversy over the duration of the annual Amarnath yatra, the VHP on Friday alleged that Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) and the state administration were "conspiring" to curtail the pilgrimage and accused them of acting at the "behest of separatist forces".
The latest allegation by the VHP came in response to some pictures being released by the Board on Thursday night, depicting the state of roads and weather conditions in the area as reasons behind the decision to curtail the yatra duration.
VHP denounced the pictures as farce and manipulated and said it was an attempt by the Board to "stall the yatra".
VHP National Secretary Surinder Jain asked, "If people can travel to the cave shrine in April, why can`t the Board allow the yatra to commence from the Jayeshth Purnima which falls on June 4?"
District Commissioner, Jammu, Sanjeev Verma refused to comment on the allegations but said the state administration was "committed to the safe and secure yatra".
Jain said the VHP will proceed with their date of June 3 for the start of yatra from Jammu and warned the government of "serious consequences if they try to sabotage the yatra."
Noting that every year the duration of the yatra was being shortened, he feared that one day it will be stopped entirely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway