SC issues notices to Centre, J&K govt on delimitation issue
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued
notices to the Centre and Jammu and Kashmir government on a
petition seeking de-limitation of Lok Sabha and Assembly
constituencies in the state.
The petition filed by Jammu and Kashmir National
Panthers Party has sought a direction from the Centre and the
state government to constitute a commission for the purpose of
delimiting the Lok Sabha and Assembly constituencies to
re-adjust the extent, boundaries and rotation of
constituencies in the state.
A Bench comprising Chief Justice KG Balakrishnan and
justice P Sathasivam also sought reply from the Election
Commission on the PIL filed by the party.
Advocate Bhim Singh, who is the chairman of the party,
submitted that the state government has taken the stand that
no de-limitation shall be conducted till 2031.
"This would mean that the reserve constituencies for
scheduled castes shall remain reserved and there shall be no
reservation for the SCs and scheduled tribes community who
were notified in 1993-94 particularly the Gujjars, the
Bakerwals, the Gaddis and the Sippies," Singh said.
He submitted that when the de-limitation process was
underway before the last General Elections, Jammu and Kashmir
was excluded from the process.
Singh said he had earlier filed the petition in 2007
in the apex court seeking delimitation of the constituencies
but was asked to approach the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon