SC issues notices to Centre, J&K govt on delimitation issue
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued
notices to the Centre and Jammu and Kashmir government on a
petition seeking de-limitation of Lok Sabha and Assembly
constituencies in the state.
The petition filed by Jammu and Kashmir National
Panthers Party has sought a direction from the Centre and the
state government to constitute a commission for the purpose of
delimiting the Lok Sabha and Assembly constituencies to
re-adjust the extent, boundaries and rotation of
constituencies in the state.
A Bench comprising Chief Justice KG Balakrishnan and
justice P Sathasivam also sought reply from the Election
Commission on the PIL filed by the party.
Advocate Bhim Singh, who is the chairman of the party,
submitted that the state government has taken the stand that
no de-limitation shall be conducted till 2031.
"This would mean that the reserve constituencies for
scheduled castes shall remain reserved and there shall be no
reservation for the SCs and scheduled tribes community who
were notified in 1993-94 particularly the Gujjars, the
Bakerwals, the Gaddis and the Sippies," Singh said.
He submitted that when the de-limitation process was
underway before the last General Elections, Jammu and Kashmir
was excluded from the process.
Singh said he had earlier filed the petition in 2007
in the apex court seeking delimitation of the constituencies
but was asked to approach the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset