SC rejects PIL against J&K rehabilitation policy
New Delhi: Supreme Court on Friday refused to entertain a petition challenging the recent rehabilitation policy of Jammu and Kashmir government for paving way for the return of youth who had crossed over to Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) after eruption of militancy in the state.
"How can we quash the government`s policy decision? You tell me what is our role in interfering with the policy," a bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and A K Sikri said.
"We have no role. The Centre and the state government have to perform their roles as per the policy. Sorry," it said, rejecting the PIL filed by Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party on the issue.
Senior advocate Bhim Singh said judicial intervention was needed as the policy was implemented in a wrong manner which was not in consonance with the law of the land.
"Where do we go then ?," he said.
"We don`t know, but this is not the right forum," the bench said.
Recently, the state government gave its nod to the rehabilitation policy, approved by the Union Home Ministry.
As per the policy, a high-level committee, headed by Commissioner/Secretary Home, would be formed which will have the final authority to clear the cases of youths who want to return from Pakistan and PoK.
Youths will be allowed to return if they want to shun the path of violence.
The parents of the youth can approach the Superintendent of Police of their district with the plea that their ward wanted to return. Then the issue would be decided by the high-level committee.
Earlier, another bench of the apex court had issued notice to the Centre and the state government on a separate plea of J&K Panthers Party that persons with Pakistani passports were being illegally allowed to enter Indian territory from Nepal by using fake I-card issued by J&K government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened