Scholarship scam: Two officials arrested
Srinagar: Two education department officials
in Jammu and Kashmir`s Kupwara district were arrested for
allegedly destroying records pertaining to distribution of
scholarships among Gujjar, Bakerwal and Pahari community
students, police said on Monday.
"Khumiriyal zonal education officer Mohammad Akbar Mir
and senior assistant Mohammad Amin Lone were arrested
on Sunday," a police spokesman said.
He said the accused in connivance with other employees of
Khumiriyal zonal education office set ablaze the records
pertaining to distribution of scholarships among Gujjar,
Bakerwal and Pahari students.
The record was destroyed to hush-up the irregularities
committed by the zonal education officer in the distribution
of these scholarships, the spokesman said.
The State Vigilance Organisation (Kashmir), probing the
alleged irregularities in distribution of the scholarships,
had asked the office to present the record before the
investigating agency for perusal.
More arrests are likely to be made in connection with the
case, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Euro 2016: Italy's 2-0 win shows Spain's golden era gone for good
- Rio Olympics 2016: Simona Halep too could pull out of event because of Zika fears
- 21-year-old commits suicide over morphed Facebook images
- REVEALED: How Test captain Virat Kohli played game-changing role in Anil Kumble's appointment
- Buying your dream home in Gurgaon to become cheaper; Circle rates reduced by 15%