Schools reopen in Kashmir after winter vacation
Srinagar: Schools in Kashmir reopened on Monday after over three months of long winter vacation.
Dressed in their uniforms, the students resumed schooling today after three months and 10 days of vacations. Schools in the valley close in December every year for winter vacation and reopen on March one next year.
However, the vacations were extended two weeks ago as authorities felt that the weather conditions were not conducive for students to attend schools.
There was apprehension that Majlis Mashawarat (Consultative Committee), an amalgamation of separatist outfits, will call for general strike today, thereby affecting the reopening of the schools.
The Majlis, which is spearheading the campaign for return of mortal remains of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru and JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat to their families, issued its weekly agitation programme today which called for a general strike on Wednesday.
Guru and Bhat were hanged and buried inside Tihar jail on February 9, 2013 and February 11, 1984.
The separatists groups had come in for sharp criticism for calling frequent strikes and protests during 2010 summer agitation in the valley, which had badly affected the schooling of the students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review