Season`s lowest in Srinagar, Leh freezes at minus 16
Srinagar: The scenic Kashmir Valley may have been devoid of snowfall this Christmas, but the cold spell continued on Sunday as the minimum temperature fell to the season`s lowest in Srinagar at minus 4.8 degrees Celsius.
At minus 16.2 degrees, Leh town in Ladakh region was the coldest in the state.
"The north Kashmir ski resort of Gulmarg recorded a minimum of minus 9.8 degrees while the south Kashmir Pahalgam hill station recorded minus 8.8," Sonam Lotus, director of the local meteorological office, told a news agency.
Kargil town recorded minus 12 degrees.
Lotus said the night temperatures could fall further across the Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region during the next few days.
Despite the absence of snowfall in Srinagar city, most roads were frozen with a layer of frost covering them in the morning.
"The roads are extremely slippery and one has to drive very cautiously. My motorcycle skidded and I broke my collar bone yesterday (Saturday)," said Javed Shah, a local newspaper editor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder