Season`s lowest in Srinagar, Leh freezes at minus 16
Srinagar: The scenic Kashmir Valley may have been devoid of snowfall this Christmas, but the cold spell continued on Sunday as the minimum temperature fell to the season`s lowest in Srinagar at minus 4.8 degrees Celsius.
At minus 16.2 degrees, Leh town in Ladakh region was the coldest in the state.
"The north Kashmir ski resort of Gulmarg recorded a minimum of minus 9.8 degrees while the south Kashmir Pahalgam hill station recorded minus 8.8," Sonam Lotus, director of the local meteorological office, told a news agency.
Kargil town recorded minus 12 degrees.
Lotus said the night temperatures could fall further across the Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region during the next few days.
Despite the absence of snowfall in Srinagar city, most roads were frozen with a layer of frost covering them in the morning.
"The roads are extremely slippery and one has to drive very cautiously. My motorcycle skidded and I broke my collar bone yesterday (Saturday)," said Javed Shah, a local newspaper editor.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview