Sec 144 to be imposed in Kupwara from February 9 to 11
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government will impose Section 144 in several areas of Kupwara district from February 9 to 11 to prevent law and order problems on the first death anniversary of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru.
The prohibitory orders will be imposed in Kupwara town, Trehgam, Kralpora, Sogam, Lalpora, Drugmulla, Handwara town, Langate town and Kralgund from February 9 to 11, 2014, an official spokesman said.
Section 144 of CrPC prohibits assembly of four or more persons in a public place without prior permission of the concerned District Magistrate.
Although the spokesman did not give any reason for imposition of the prohibitory orders, official sources said the step was taken to prevent any protests on February 9, which will mark the first death anniversary of Guru.
The Parliament attack convict was hanged to death inside Tihar Jail last year.
Separatist organisations in Kashmir were planning several events to mark the death anniversaries of Guru.
JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat, who was also hanged and buried inside Tihar Jail on February 11, 1984.
Several leaders of JKLF have been taken into preventive custody by police today.
Meanwhile, Section 144 has also been promulgated in Shopian district of south Kashmir. The prohibitory orders shall remain in force for the next two months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Sensex adds to gains for 2nd day, Nifty hits 15-month high
- Narsingh Yadav doping row: NADA hearing concludes, judgement either on Saturday or Monday
- Theresa May: Will she prove to be the second Iron Lady UK needs after Brexit?
- Political parties slam CM Mufti's 'wasn't aware of Burhan's whereabouts' remarks
- Nathan Lyon joins Muttiah Muralitharan and Harbhajan Singh in the 200-test-wicket club