Sec 144 to be imposed in Kupwara from February 9 to 11
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government will impose Section 144 in several areas of Kupwara district from February 9 to 11 to prevent law and order problems on the first death anniversary of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru.
The prohibitory orders will be imposed in Kupwara town, Trehgam, Kralpora, Sogam, Lalpora, Drugmulla, Handwara town, Langate town and Kralgund from February 9 to 11, 2014, an official spokesman said.
Section 144 of CrPC prohibits assembly of four or more persons in a public place without prior permission of the concerned District Magistrate.
Although the spokesman did not give any reason for imposition of the prohibitory orders, official sources said the step was taken to prevent any protests on February 9, which will mark the first death anniversary of Guru.
The Parliament attack convict was hanged to death inside Tihar Jail last year.
Separatist organisations in Kashmir were planning several events to mark the death anniversaries of Guru.
JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat, who was also hanged and buried inside Tihar Jail on February 11, 1984.
Several leaders of JKLF have been taken into preventive custody by police today.
Meanwhile, Section 144 has also been promulgated in Shopian district of south Kashmir. The prohibitory orders shall remain in force for the next two months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand