Security beefed up in Anantnag ahead of PM`s visit
Srinagar: A three-tier security was put in place in Anantnag district with Special Protection Group (SPG) overseeing the arrangements ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi`s two-day visit to Jammu and Kashmir beginning tomorrow.
Officials said SPG sanitised the area in and around the venue from where the Anantnag section of Qazigund-Baramulla railway line would be thrown open to public by the Prime Minister tomorrow.
With opening of the 18-km line, the valley will be linked to its capital Srinagar and other important places, and the trains are expected to chug at a speed of 100 km per hour.
In the wake of security arrangements, the operational rail service from Anantnag to Baramulla would run only up to Bijbehara, some ten kms ahead of the venue today and
"All trains will remain cancelled between Bijbehara and Anantnag station on October 27 and 28", Chief Area manager, Srinagar, northern Railway said in a statement.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi will also address a public rally at Anantnag, 55 kms from here.
Later in the day, the Prime Minister would attend a CRPF function at Humhama at Srinagar Airport road.
A team of state government ministers also visited Anantnag yesterday to take an overview of the security arrangements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'