Security beefed up in Anantnag ahead of PM`s visit
Srinagar: A three-tier security was put in place in Anantnag district with Special Protection Group (SPG) overseeing the arrangements ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi`s two-day visit to Jammu and Kashmir beginning tomorrow.
Officials said SPG sanitised the area in and around the venue from where the Anantnag section of Qazigund-Baramulla railway line would be thrown open to public by the Prime Minister tomorrow.
With opening of the 18-km line, the valley will be linked to its capital Srinagar and other important places, and the trains are expected to chug at a speed of 100 km per hour.
In the wake of security arrangements, the operational rail service from Anantnag to Baramulla would run only up to Bijbehara, some ten kms ahead of the venue today and
"All trains will remain cancelled between Bijbehara and Anantnag station on October 27 and 28", Chief Area manager, Srinagar, northern Railway said in a statement.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi will also address a public rally at Anantnag, 55 kms from here.
Later in the day, the Prime Minister would attend a CRPF function at Humhama at Srinagar Airport road.
A team of state government ministers also visited Anantnag yesterday to take an overview of the security arrangements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day