Security beefed up in Jammu ahead of R-Day
Jammu: The city has been placed under
maximum security and the state`s borders with Punjab have been
sealed to prevent entry of BJP youth activists bent upon
hoisting the national flag in Srinagar on Republic Day despite
Jammu and Kashmir government`s objections.
"Top security has been put in place in Jammu and all
entry points from Punjab into the state have been sealed by
deploying additional para-military personnel," a senior Police
officer today said.
The entry points into Jammu and Kashmir from
Punjab-Lakhanpur and Nagri-Narole of Kathua district have been
plugged to stop BJYM and BJP activists from coming to the
state from Punjab.
Besides, around 1,000 state police personnel have been
asked to keep a vigil along the Jammu-Pathanokte highway, the
route to be taken by the Rashtriya Ekta Yatra for the flag
Seven additional check-points have been set up and all
other check-points put on high alert for round-the-clock vigil
of the highway, officials said.
Police in civil clothes will keep a watch at Lakhanpur,
Nagri (gateways to JK in Kathua district), Railway stations at
Samba, Hiranagar, Kathua and Jammu as well as bus stands, they
"We will not allow them to disturb peace in Jammu and
Kashmir. State government has already directed the security
agencies to ensure that there is no trouble in the state
because of the flag hoisting," they said.
JK government had on January 20 said that it will not
allow flag hoisting at Lal Chowk or permit any other programme
which disturbs peace in the state.
The ruling National Conference today accused BJP of
spoiling peace and normalcy in Kashmir.
"We will not allow the BJP to hoist the national flag in
Srinagar as that is not in the interest of the Jammu and
Kashmir," senior NC leader and Law Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar
told reporters here.
However, making it clear that it will not drop its plans,
BJP today said any "misadventure" envisaged by the state
government would be thwarted and the state BJP would see that
the tricolour flies high at Lal Chowk amidst chanting of
Bharat Mata Ki Jai.
"More than 50,000 youth of the country are reaching of
Jammu on January 25 to proceed to Kashmir and no force on
earth can stop us," said State BJP President Shamsher Singh
The BJP started its march from Kolkata on January 12 and
will enter the state on January 24 at Pathankot after covering
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?