Security forces kill five militants in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Five separatist guerrillas, who are foreigners, were killed in a midnight gunfight with security forces in Kashmir, a police official said on Friday.
A senior police official told a news agency that on specific information, troops of counter insurgency 24 Rashtriya Rifles and the state police surrounded an area on the fringes of Najwan forest near Preng health resort in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal district, 35 km from here.
"When the troops tightened the cordon, hiding militants fired at them triggering an encounter at the end of which five militants were killed," the official said.
The identities of the slain guerrillas are being established, the official said.
He, however, added preliminary reports have indicated that all the slain guerrillas are foreign nationals.
Security forces did not suffer any damage in the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way
- 10-year-old boy injured after minor girl forces sex in Kanpur
- Plane catches fire while making emergency landing in Singapore