Security forces kill five militants in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Five separatist guerrillas, who are foreigners, were killed in a midnight gunfight with security forces in Kashmir, a police official said on Friday.
A senior police official told a news agency that on specific information, troops of counter insurgency 24 Rashtriya Rifles and the state police surrounded an area on the fringes of Najwan forest near Preng health resort in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal district, 35 km from here.
"When the troops tightened the cordon, hiding militants fired at them triggering an encounter at the end of which five militants were killed," the official said.
The identities of the slain guerrillas are being established, the official said.
He, however, added preliminary reports have indicated that all the slain guerrillas are foreign nationals.
Security forces did not suffer any damage in the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach