Security forces kill five militants in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Five separatist guerrillas, who are foreigners, were killed in a midnight gunfight with security forces in Kashmir, a police official said on Friday.
A senior police official told a news agency that on specific information, troops of counter insurgency 24 Rashtriya Rifles and the state police surrounded an area on the fringes of Najwan forest near Preng health resort in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal district, 35 km from here.
"When the troops tightened the cordon, hiding militants fired at them triggering an encounter at the end of which five militants were killed," the official said.
The identities of the slain guerrillas are being established, the official said.
He, however, added preliminary reports have indicated that all the slain guerrillas are foreign nationals.
Security forces did not suffer any damage in the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- MS Dhoni says it will be an interesting series against `extraordinary` West Indies
- Obama creates world's largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- How malaria supports spread of infectious cancer in Africa
- Cricket in America: MS Dhoni sees USA as a special market
- UP girl ended up dead after this heartbreaking revelation on moving train - WATCH viral video