Security forces kill five militants in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Five separatist guerrillas, who are foreigners, were killed in a midnight gunfight with security forces in Kashmir, a police official said on Friday.
A senior police official told a news agency that on specific information, troops of counter insurgency 24 Rashtriya Rifles and the state police surrounded an area on the fringes of Najwan forest near Preng health resort in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal district, 35 km from here.
"When the troops tightened the cordon, hiding militants fired at them triggering an encounter at the end of which five militants were killed," the official said.
The identities of the slain guerrillas are being established, the official said.
He, however, added preliminary reports have indicated that all the slain guerrillas are foreign nationals.
Security forces did not suffer any damage in the operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Bajaj Pulsar cs400 spotted testing again; launching soon
- Mars once hosted habitable environments, reveals study!
- Hurriyat leader Mirwaiz Umer Farooq placed under house arrest in Srinagar
- New Victory RR electric superbike aims at Isle of Man TT Zero
- Karnataka 2nd PUC result declared, overall pass percentage 57.20