Security forces review situation in Kashmir
Srinagar: In the wake of widespread clashes between protesters and law enforcing agencies in Kashmir, the Core Group of security forces on Saturday met here to review the overall security situation.
The Core Group meeting took place at Badamibagh cantonment headquarters and was co-chaired by the Security Advisor and General Officer Commanding of Chinar Corps Lt Gen Om Prakah and Director General of State Police Ashok Prasad, a defence spokesman said.
He said senior officers of Army, Police, CRPF, BSF, Intelligence Agencies and Civil Administration attended the meeting to chalk out the road map for sustaining peace in the Valley
The meeting, which incidentally was the first this year after civil secretariat-- the seat of Jammu and Kashmir government-- and other offices shifted to winter capital Jammu for six months in accordance with the age old practice of `darbar move` last year.
"Major efforts required by various security agencies with regard to sustaining the peace and harmony through the summer of 2013 were also discussed," the DGP said.
Kashmir Valley is on the boil since the hanging of Guru on February 9, which resulted into the death of four persons and injuries to scores of others in violent clashes.
The separatists have threatened to continue the protests till their demand for return of mortal remains of Guru and JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat who was also hanged in Delhi`s Tihar jail on February 11, 1984 is not met.
Both factions of Hurriyat Conference, JKLF and other separatist groups have also joined hands under the banner of Majlis Mashawarat (consultative committee), which is spearheading the ongoing agitation in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state