Security of Panchayat members to figure in J&K As
Srinagar: The National Conference-Congress coalition government in Jammu and Kashmir will face another test of its floor management with security and empowerment of Panchayat members likely to figure prominently during the autumn session of the state Legislature beginning Monday.
The two parties, which have been ruling the state in a coalition since January 2009, are at loggerheads over the implementation of 73rd amendment of the constitution of India in the state.
While Congress leaders, including JKPCC chief Saif-ud-Din Soz, maintain that empowerment of the panchayats cannot be complete without implementing the 73rd amendment, National Conference has claimed that it was not needed as the spirit of the Parliament Act had already been incorporated in the state`s Panchayati Act of 1989.
The opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has submitted a Private Members` bill in the Assembly for "democratisation" of Panchayats and devolution of more powers to the grass root level representatives.
Ruling National Conference has said Assembly rules do not permit taking up PDP MLA Peerzada Mansoor Hussain`s bill during the current session but the Chief spokesman of the opposition party Nayeem Akhtar said it was submitted as per rules in due time.
Sources in the Assembly secretariat said the bill will not be taken up for discussion as the Speaker has rejected it.
The bill was received eight days after the deadline of September 10, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors