Security scene in J&K stable: Defence Ministry
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry today said
the overall security situation in Jammu and Kashmir was
"stable" but had the potential of "deteriorating" at a very
In its annual report released on Monday, the ministry said
the need of the hour was to consolidate the gains in the
"The security situation in Jammu and Kashmir has been
stable in 2011 with an overall reduction in violence. However,
it has the potential to deteriorate at short notice," the
ministry said in its report.
"The Pakistan-terrorist-separatist nexus continues their
attempts to foment trouble with an aim to internationalise
the Kashmir issue."
The ministry said the army and other security forces are
mainly credited for improving the environment through
effective counter terrorist operations.
It noted that 56 cases of ceasefire violation took place
along the Line of Control in 2011.
On northeast, the ministry said the prevailing security
situation there has been stabilised and is under control and
"violence levels have subsided significantly as compared to
"There is widespread support for peace by all sections of
the society facilitating progress on developmental projects,"
According to the report, in Assam, the peace talks
involving the pro-talk faction of ULFA were progressing well
but the Paresh Barua-led faction was continuing its efforts to
sabotage the parleys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate