Security stepped up in J&K after grenade attacks
Srinagar: Security across Kashmir Valley was
on Friday stepped up in view of the large congregation expected at
major mosques on the last Friday of the Muslim fasting month
of Ramzan and two militant attacks that left two persons dead.
Additional police personnel have been deployed at busy
market areas and major intersections of the summer capital of
the state as a precautionary measure, officials said.
They said the law enforcing agencies have increased
vigil across the city through closed circuit TV cameras and
cops in plainclothes have been deployed to prevent militants
from carrying out any attack.
"There will be large number of people travelling through
the heart of the city for Juma`tul Vida (last Friday of Muslim
fasting month of Ramzan) prayers. We want to ensure that
yesterday`s attack is not repeated," a senior police
Militants had yesterday hurled a grenade at security
forces in Baramulla town of north Kashmir, killing two persons
including a BSF jawan.
The ultras had also hurled a grenade at a CRPF vehicle in
Batamaloo area of the city, leaving 11 civilians injured.
Large Friday gatherings are expected at Jamia Masjid in
old city and Hazratbal Shrine on the banks of Dal Lake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack