Security tightened in J&K ahead of NC founder`s birth anniversary
Srinagar: Security has been beefed up around Jammu and Kashmir`s summer capital on the eve of 108th birth anniversary of NC founder Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah as the ruling party is expected to hit the election mode by announcing candidates for the 2014 general elections.
Police and paramilitary CRPF forces have been deployed across the city, especially in and around Naseembagh graveyard of Sheikh, where National Conference is organising a public meeting after the wreath-laying ceremony on mausoleum of the party founder.
The NC leadership, including Farooq Abdullah and his son and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, is scheduled to attend the meeting.
Farooq has hinted that he will announce the party`s candidates for the three Lok Sabha seats of the Valley on the occasion.
"We have taken extra precautionary measures in view of the birth anniversary celebrations of the National Conference founder and the scheduled public meeting to keep militants at bay," a senior police officer said.
He said security has been beefed up in view of the VVIPs` visit to Hazratbal and also keeping in mind the recent surge in militant attacks.
Random frisking of vehicles moving around Srinagar city was started last evening and has been going on through the day as well. The vehicle checking and frisking of passengers has been intensified especially on the roads leading to Hazratbal, the venue of tomorrow`s public meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days