Security tightened in Kashmir
Srinagar: Security has been beefed up in Kashmir Valley ahead of the Republic Day even as full dress rehearsal of the parade was held at the Bakshi stadium on Thursday.
Additional police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in the city and at entry points to the summer capital of the state to foil any plans of militants to carry out subversive activities ahead of the Republic Day celebrations, official sources said.
Police has set up barricades at many places to carry out random searches of vehicles entering the city, the sources said.
They said roads around the Bakshi stadium, the venue for main function in Kashmir, were sealed off last night as a precautionary measure.
Police and Srinagar Municipal Corporation personnel have started removed snow from the road side to ensure that militants do not use it hide any explosives, the sources said.
Armed personnel and cops in civvies have been deployed around the Republic Day function venue to keep an eye on any suspicious persons, they said.
Last week, police had rounded up several youth, from many areas in the city, suspected to be involved in organising protests on the Republic Day eve.
Similar security arrangements have been put in place in all district headquarters of the Valley for ensuring peaceful and smooth Republic Day Celebrations, the sources said.
A senior official of the state police intelligence wing said there were no specific inputs about militants planning to carry out any attacks on the eve of the Republic day but they were not tackling any chances with the security arrangements.
Meanwhile, full dress rehearsal of the Republic Day parade was held at Bakshi stadium amidst tight security, the sources said.
They said Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Asgar Samoon took salute at the march past by contingents of various wings of police, CRPF and school children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof