Seismographs in Kashmir Valley to monitor quakes
Srinagar: Kashmir University in collaboration with two institutions from Bangalore and Kolkata has set up 15 broadband seismographs in the Valley to monitor seismic activity for a rational assessment of the probability of occurrence of earthquakes.
"Kashmir University, in collaboration with the Centre for Mathematical Modeling and Computer Simulation (C-MMACS), Bangalore and IISER, Kolkata, has established a dense network of 15 broadband seismographs in the state," a spokesman of the Varsity said.
He said these seismographs have come up at Srinagar, Anantnag, Awantipura, Aru, Daksum, Aharbal, Gulmarg, Dodhpathri, Delina, Kupwara, Sonmarg, Drass, Kargil, Doda and Ramban.
Located in one of the most active seismic zones, Jammu and Kashmir has been historically affected by the earthquakes. However, till date, there had been only one or two seismographs installed in the region that monitor the earthquake activity.
Shakil A Romshoo, Head of the Department of Earth Sciences, said the team of scientists from his department, C-MMACS and IISER will soon begin observations for seismic activity.
Vice Chancellor of the University Professor Talat Ahmad said the initiative has tremendous importance and, in partnership with the national institutes, the seismic observation network in the state is going to be further expanded soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog