Senior IAS officer arrested in Gulmarg land scam case
Srinagar: Senior IAS officer Baseer Ahmad Khan was Monday arrested by the Jammu and Kashmir State Vigilance Organisation for allegedly misusing his official position for illegal transfer of government land in Gulmarg worth crores of rupees.
"Deputy Commissioner, Kishtwar district, Baseer Ahmad Khan today reported at police station, Vigilance, where his arrest was effected in connection with the Gulmarg land scam case," a senior SVO officer said.
Khan was produced before the court of Special Judge, Anti-corruption, here and the charge sheet against him was presented, the officer said.
The court released the IAS officer on bail and allowed him to report back to duty at Kishtwar, he said.
The officer said the SVO received sanction from the Centre for prosecution of Khan on Friday.
Khan, who was Deputy Commissioner of Srinagar till March, was removed on the orders of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court which is hearing a public interest litigation in Gulmarg land scam case.
Five other accused officers, who have retired from service, have already been charge sheeted in the case. Among the accused is then Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Mehboob Iqbal, who has since joined PDP.
The SVO had registered a case against senior officials of the government in 2009 for allegedly misusing official position for illegal transfer of government land in Gulmarg worth crores of rupees by misusing provisions of the J&K State Land, (Vesting of Ownership Rights to the Occupants) Act, 2001, also known as Roshni Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India