Separatist guerrillas kill Kashmir cop
Srinagar: Separatist guerrillas Saturday killed a head constable of the Jammu and Kashmir Police, an officer said.
Head Constable Sonaullah Zargar, who was on vacation in his native village, was killed in a forest in Kupwara district, a police officer said here.
"This (Saturday) morning, Zargar, son of Abdul Gani and resident of Hardoona Vilgam village in Handwara tehsil, had gone to a nearby forest along with his wife for collection of firewood," the officer said.
"The duo was intercepted by some unknown militants in the forest and Sonnaullah was killed by the militants in a gruesome manner," he said, adding that his wife was not harmed.
The area has been cordoned off and the body of the head constable was handed over to his relatives for last rites, police said.
Zargar, earlier posted in Srinagar, had come to his village to meet his family. He is survived by his wife and four children, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir