Separatist leader Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Barely a day after his release, hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani was placed under house arrest here late Thursday evening, a police official said Friday.
Geelani was placed under house arrest in Srinagar as a preventive measure, the official said.
Geelani, who spent over three months in detention in a tourist hut in the high security Cheshmashahi area of the city which had been converted into a sub-jail, had been released Wednesday evening after the state high court quashed his detention under the stringent Public Safety Act (PSA).
He addressed a press conference at his residence Thursday afternoon and later led scores of his supporters who shouted anti-India and pro-freedom slogans.
The separatist leader announced launching of an agitation after the Eid festival against the allotment of land to the army.
A posse of local police surrounded his uptown Hyderpora residence late Thursday, and he was told that he had been placed under house arrest.
Geelani had been arrested early June here for spearheading the agitation against the rape and murder of two young women in south Kashmir`s Shopian town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!