Separatist leader Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Barely a day after his release, hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani was placed under house arrest here late Thursday evening, a police official said Friday.
Geelani was placed under house arrest in Srinagar as a preventive measure, the official said.
Geelani, who spent over three months in detention in a tourist hut in the high security Cheshmashahi area of the city which had been converted into a sub-jail, had been released Wednesday evening after the state high court quashed his detention under the stringent Public Safety Act (PSA).
He addressed a press conference at his residence Thursday afternoon and later led scores of his supporters who shouted anti-India and pro-freedom slogans.
The separatist leader announced launching of an agitation after the Eid festival against the allotment of land to the army.
A posse of local police surrounded his uptown Hyderpora residence late Thursday, and he was told that he had been placed under house arrest.
Geelani had been arrested early June here for spearheading the agitation against the rape and murder of two young women in south Kashmir`s Shopian town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway