Separatist leader Shabir Shah arrested in Srinagar
Srinagar: Senior separatist leader Shabir Ahmad Shah was Wednesday taken into custody by the police in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital after he tried to stage a protest.
Shah reached the Pratap Park area on Residency Road in the morning with dozens of supporters when police stopped his vehicle and took him into preventive custody.
The separatist leader intended to stage a sit-in protest against alleged custodial killing of a youth in north Kashmir Sopore town July 31.
"Shabir Shah violated Section 144 in force in the city and he has been taken into preventive custody along with two of his supporters," a police officer said.
Nazim Rashid alias Anjum, 26, a resident of Krankshivan area of Sopore, was picked up by police July 30 over the death of Muhammad Ashraf, who was killed by guerrillas in the town July 28. Nazim Rashid died in custody July 31.
Rashid was the only son of his father Abdul Rashid. His mother passed away when he was just four days old.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed