Separatist leader Shabir Shah arrested in Srinagar
Srinagar: Senior separatist leader Shabir Ahmad Shah was Wednesday taken into custody by the police in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital after he tried to stage a protest.
Shah reached the Pratap Park area on Residency Road in the morning with dozens of supporters when police stopped his vehicle and took him into preventive custody.
The separatist leader intended to stage a sit-in protest against alleged custodial killing of a youth in north Kashmir Sopore town July 31.
"Shabir Shah violated Section 144 in force in the city and he has been taken into preventive custody along with two of his supporters," a police officer said.
Nazim Rashid alias Anjum, 26, a resident of Krankshivan area of Sopore, was picked up by police July 30 over the death of Muhammad Ashraf, who was killed by guerrillas in the town July 28. Nazim Rashid died in custody July 31.
Rashid was the only son of his father Abdul Rashid. His mother passed away when he was just four days old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon