Separatist leader taken into preventive custody in J&K
Srinagar: Democratic Freedom Party (DFP) president Shabir Ahmad Shah was Friday taken into preventive custody by police when he tried to take out a rally to protest against the arrest of youths and separatist leaders.
Shah along with two of his close associates was taken
into preventive custody after he tried to take out a protest
rally against the large-scale arrest of youths and separatist
leaders in Shopian town, 55 kms from here, police said here.
Shah was brought to Srinagar and lodged at Sadder
Police station, they said.
The leader had gone to Shopian as part of his campaign
to protest the continued crackdown on youth and separatist
leaders and to press for release of political prisoners, a DFP
spokesman told reporters.
Meanwhile, a group of youth indulged in stone-pelting
on police and paramilitary forces at Batmaloo in central
Srinagar shortly after Friday prayers.
The youths were protesting against the arrest of two
prominent separatist leaders - Chairman of Muslim League,
Mushtaq-ul-Islam and Chief of Islamic Students League, Shakeel
Ahmad Bakshi -- last month.
Islam and Bakshi were arrested and booked under Public
Minimum force was used to chase away the protestors,
they said, adding that none was hurt in the brief clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?