Separatist leaders taken into preventive custody
Srinagar: Chairman of moderate Hurriyat
Conference Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and several others were taken
into preventive custody when they were trying to take out a
protest rally on the occasion of Human Rights Day on Thursday,
officials said here.
After his arrest, Mirwaiz said his amalgam had planned
to take out a procession from Hurriyat headquarters at Rajbagh
to Municipal Park to invite the attention of the world human
rights bodies to the unmarked graves found by a human rights
"We also wanted world bodies to use their good offices
to stop human rights violations taking place in the state," he
These leaders were lodged at Kothibagh police station
after they made several attempts to take out processions in
and around Lal chowk, officials said.
Meanwhile, Association of Parents of Disappeared
Persons (APDP) organised demonstrations at Pratap Park and
reiterated its demand for justice.
"Today on the occasion of the international Human
Rights Day, APDP demands setting up of a credible autonomous
commission to investigate and come up with facts on
disappearances and prosecution of security personnel
involved," president of APDP Parveena Ahanger told reporters.
She said "India should implement all international
conventions which guarantee human rights particularly the
international convention on enforced involuntary
disappearances to which India is a signatory."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference