Separatist leaders under house arrest ahead of Eid
Srinagar: A day ahead of Eid-ul-Fitr, several top separatist leaders including hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani were on Sunday put under house arrest.
A spokesman of Geelani said the Hurriyat hawk was placed under house arrest at Hyderpora this afternoon while another senior leader of the amalgam, Mohammad Ashraf Sehrai, was confined to his Barzulla residence by police.
JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik was also placed under house arrest this evening with a posse of policemen guarding his Maisuma residence.
Although senior police officers refused to comment on the matter, sources said the steps were taken to maintain law and order during Eid festival tomorrow.
Violent protests were witnessed on Eid day in 2010 when several separatist leaders led rallies to Lal Chowk.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?