Separatist leaders under house arrest ahead of Eid
Srinagar: A day ahead of Eid-ul-Fitr, several top separatist leaders including hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani were on Sunday put under house arrest.
A spokesman of Geelani said the Hurriyat hawk was placed under house arrest at Hyderpora this afternoon while another senior leader of the amalgam, Mohammad Ashraf Sehrai, was confined to his Barzulla residence by police.
JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik was also placed under house arrest this evening with a posse of policemen guarding his Maisuma residence.
Although senior police officers refused to comment on the matter, sources said the steps were taken to maintain law and order during Eid festival tomorrow.
Violent protests were witnessed on Eid day in 2010 when several separatist leaders led rallies to Lal Chowk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi participates in SCO annual meet in Tashkent
- Pink auto introduced in Ghaziabad specifically for women
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Airlines are not 'demons': Civil Aviation Minister
- Not in the best of form, Roger Federer reaches crossroads at Wimbledon
- Lodha panel's recommendations could take cricket 20 years back, feels Anurag Thakur
- Future of cinema is internet movies, says Kangana Ranaut
- Campus violence: AMU expels 11 students, suspends 17 others