Separatist leaders under house arrest ahead of Eid
Srinagar: A day ahead of Eid-ul-Fitr, several top separatist leaders including hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani were on Sunday put under house arrest.
A spokesman of Geelani said the Hurriyat hawk was placed under house arrest at Hyderpora this afternoon while another senior leader of the amalgam, Mohammad Ashraf Sehrai, was confined to his Barzulla residence by police.
JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik was also placed under house arrest this evening with a posse of policemen guarding his Maisuma residence.
Although senior police officers refused to comment on the matter, sources said the steps were taken to maintain law and order during Eid festival tomorrow.
Violent protests were witnessed on Eid day in 2010 when several separatist leaders led rallies to Lal Chowk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read