Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Several Jammu and Kashmir separatist leaders were placed under house arrest here on Friday ahead of a protest against the film "Innocence of Muslims", a trailer of which was uploaded on YouTube.
Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Muhammad Yasin Malik, Shabir Ahmad Shah and Muhammad Nayeem Khan were placed under house arrest in this state summer capital. Protests against the film, which depicts Prophet Mohammed in a poor light, were planned for the afternoon after Friday prayers.
Without accepting or denying that separatist leaders have been placed under house arrest in the city, police officials said preventive measures were in place in the city.
"Prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code are in place in the city to prevent any breach of law and order," a police official said. The orders ban any gathering of four or more people.
Police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in riot gear have been deployed at sensitive places to maintain law and order.
The state government had approached the union telecommunications ministry to block the blasphemous video on YouTube.
"Yes, we have approached the union telecom ministry to have the video blocked on YouTube since its display can cause law and order problems in the state," state Home Commissioner BR Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi