Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Several Jammu and Kashmir separatist leaders were placed under house arrest here on Friday ahead of a protest against the film "Innocence of Muslims", a trailer of which was uploaded on YouTube.
Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Muhammad Yasin Malik, Shabir Ahmad Shah and Muhammad Nayeem Khan were placed under house arrest in this state summer capital. Protests against the film, which depicts Prophet Mohammed in a poor light, were planned for the afternoon after Friday prayers.
Without accepting or denying that separatist leaders have been placed under house arrest in the city, police officials said preventive measures were in place in the city.
"Prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code are in place in the city to prevent any breach of law and order," a police official said. The orders ban any gathering of four or more people.
Police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in riot gear have been deployed at sensitive places to maintain law and order.
The state government had approached the union telecommunications ministry to block the blasphemous video on YouTube.
"Yes, we have approached the union telecom ministry to have the video blocked on YouTube since its display can cause law and order problems in the state," state Home Commissioner BR Sharma said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels