Separatist outfits denounce Police Reforms Bill
Srinagar: The hardline Hurriyat Conference, led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, on Tuesday denounced the proposed Police Reforms Bill terming it as "repressive" and asked the people to oppose it.
"The Hurriyat Conference strongly denounces the proposed Police Bill. It is repressive in nature," an amalgam spokesman said in a statement here.
"We ask the people to oppose it as it aims to destroy the very fabric of a civilised society," he said.
The Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), another separatist outfit, also condemned the proposed bill.
"Through this bill, the NC-led coalition government wants to give state protection to misdeeds of police and other security agencies and increase their powers," a JKLF statement said.
It said the group would oppose the bill and asked people to stand against it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police