Separatist outfits denounce Police Reforms Bill
Srinagar: The hardline Hurriyat Conference, led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, on Tuesday denounced the proposed Police Reforms Bill terming it as "repressive" and asked the people to oppose it.
"The Hurriyat Conference strongly denounces the proposed Police Bill. It is repressive in nature," an amalgam spokesman said in a statement here.
"We ask the people to oppose it as it aims to destroy the very fabric of a civilised society," he said.
The Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), another separatist outfit, also condemned the proposed bill.
"Through this bill, the NC-led coalition government wants to give state protection to misdeeds of police and other security agencies and increase their powers," a JKLF statement said.
It said the group would oppose the bill and asked people to stand against it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love