Separatist outfits denounce Police Reforms Bill
Srinagar: The hardline Hurriyat Conference, led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, on Tuesday denounced the proposed Police Reforms Bill terming it as "repressive" and asked the people to oppose it.
"The Hurriyat Conference strongly denounces the proposed Police Bill. It is repressive in nature," an amalgam spokesman said in a statement here.
"We ask the people to oppose it as it aims to destroy the very fabric of a civilised society," he said.
The Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), another separatist outfit, also condemned the proposed bill.
"Through this bill, the NC-led coalition government wants to give state protection to misdeeds of police and other security agencies and increase their powers," a JKLF statement said.
It said the group would oppose the bill and asked people to stand against it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!