Separatist shutdown, heavy snowfall hit life in Srinagar
Srinagar: Life across summer capital Srinagar was affected by a shutdown called on Saturday by senior separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani, although most people preferred to remain indoors due to overnight heavy snowfall and biting chill.
Geelani was placed under house arrest by the authorities on Friday in his uptown Hyderpora residence to prevent his participation in protests called by him.
Shops remained closed on the Residency Road, in the city centre Lal Chowk and most old areas of the city and very little traffic plied on the roads.
"The situation is completely normal across the Kashmir Valley and no untoward incident has been reported from anywhere," a police official said.
He added: "The heavy snowfall that occurred during the night and continued till morning has affected normal activities."
Geelani called for a shutdown across the valley to protest what he called "arrest of youth and even minors by the police in the aftermath of the over four months long summer unrest here".
Reports from other district headquarters indicated life was adversely affected there, but it was unclear whether the separatist appeal for shutdown or the heavy snowfall has brought life to a halt in those places.
All the university exams scheduled for Saturday and Sunday have been cancelled by the authorities due to the heavy snowfall and fresh dates would be announced later, officials of the Kashmir University said here.
Geelani has rejected a 25 percent troop reduction in Kashmir, which was announced by union Home Secretary GK Pillai on Friday in New Delhi.
"This is simply patchwork and the people have not felt any relief on the ground because of such announcements," Geelani said in a statement in response to Pillai`s announcement.
"That is why we are demanding complete withdrawal of troops from Kashmir," Geelani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands