Separatist strike evokes partial response in Srinagar
Srinagar: A shutdown called by separatists in the Kashmir Valley partially affected life here on Thursday.
While banks, post offices and government offices functioned normally in Srinagar, several private schools remained closed.
Public transport plied partially on city roads. However, private vehicles were running normally during the strike.
Shops and other business establishments remained closed in major markets of the city.
The Muttahida Majlis-e-Mushawarat, coordination committee of separatist groups, called for a complete valley-wide shutdown on Thursday to mount pressure on the government for the return of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s body to his family.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel were deployed at several places in the city, but no restrictions were imposed on pedestrian and vehicular movement.
Vehicles carrying tourists to hill stations of Sonamarg, Pahalgam and Gulmarg moved as usual. The vehicular traffic on the Srinagar-Jammu highway also remained normal.
Arrival of tourists has started picking up now, after protests in the Kashmir Valley in the wake of Afzal Guru`s execution in Delhi`s Tihar Jail on February 9.
Over one million tourists visited the valley in 2011. Their numbers rose to 1.3 million last year according to the official records.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Badshah's Hindi cover of Justin Bieber’s 'Sorry' is out and, dayum, it's addictive!
- Subramanian Swamy wants discussion on Mahatma Gandhi killing in Rajya Sabha
- Mercedes-AMG SLC43 launched in India at Rs 77.5 lakh
- Two attackers 'neutralized', one hostage killed in France church attack
- Criminal stabbed to death in Goa prison