Separatists leaders under house arrest, curfew on in J&K’s Shopian
Srinagar: Top separatist leaders were on Friday placed under house arrest ahead of their march towards Shopian town in south Kashmir where curfew remained in force for the eight consecutive day following killing of five persons in CRPF firing earlier this month.
A senior police officer said chairman of moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and several other leaders of his amalgam were placed under house arrest as a precautionary measure.
The Mirwaiz had called for a march to Shopian town to express solidarity with the people following killing of five youth in two separate incidents of firing allegedly by CRPF personnel on September 7 and September 11.
The officer said chairman of the hardline faction Syed Ali Shah Geelani and JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik were also placed under house arrest.
Although curfew was relaxed in Shopian from 4.00 PM onwards yesterday, the restrictions were re-imposed this morning as a preventive measure in view of the separatist call for the march, the officer said.
Curfew was first clamped in Shopian district on September 8, following widespread clashes after the killing of four persons in CRPF firing a day earlier.
The prohibitory orders were lifted on September 11, but curfew was re-imposed in the town next day following clashes between the protestors and security forces which led to the killing of another youth, taking the toll to five.
There was no effect of the call for the march on normal life across the Valley, barring Shopian town. Educational institutions, commercial establishments and shops opened as usual while traffic was also plying on all routes.
The officer said there was no report of any untoward incident from anywhere in the Valley so far.
Police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in strength at all vulnerable places to deal with possible protests, especially after Friday congregational prayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!