Separatists placed under house arrest ahead of protest march
Srinagar: Top separatist leaders were on Wednesday placed under house arrest ahead of their march to a village in north Kashmir`s Bandipora district where two youths were killed in alleged Army firing on Sunday.
The leaders including Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik were placed under house arrest ahead of the march towards Markundal village in Sumbal area, police said.
A police spokesman said restrictions on the movement of people were put in place in many areas of Bandipora district to maintain law and order.
Life is rest of the Kashmir Valley was normal with schools, colleges and businesses opening as usual.
The spokesman said there were no reports of any untoward incident from anywhere in the Valley so far.
Geelani had called for a march to native villages of the two youths killed in the firing incident on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF's AN-32 transport aircraft with 29 on board goes missing; massive search operation launched
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Cook, Root tons help hosts post 314/4 on Day 1
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting