Separatists placed under house arrest ahead of protest march
Srinagar: Top separatist leaders were on Wednesday placed under house arrest ahead of their march to a village in north Kashmir`s Bandipora district where two youths were killed in alleged Army firing on Sunday.
The leaders including Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik were placed under house arrest ahead of the march towards Markundal village in Sumbal area, police said.
A police spokesman said restrictions on the movement of people were put in place in many areas of Bandipora district to maintain law and order.
Life is rest of the Kashmir Valley was normal with schools, colleges and businesses opening as usual.
The spokesman said there were no reports of any untoward incident from anywhere in the Valley so far.
Geelani had called for a march to native villages of the two youths killed in the firing incident on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand