Separatists placed under house arrest ahead of protest march
Srinagar: Top separatist leaders were on Wednesday placed under house arrest ahead of their march to a village in north Kashmir`s Bandipora district where two youths were killed in alleged Army firing on Sunday.
The leaders including Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik were placed under house arrest ahead of the march towards Markundal village in Sumbal area, police said.
A police spokesman said restrictions on the movement of people were put in place in many areas of Bandipora district to maintain law and order.
Life is rest of the Kashmir Valley was normal with schools, colleges and businesses opening as usual.
The spokesman said there were no reports of any untoward incident from anywhere in the Valley so far.
Geelani had called for a march to native villages of the two youths killed in the firing incident on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred