Separatists reject Modi`s development plank for J&K
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir separatists on Friday rejected the developmental plank of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to win the hearts of the people, saying Kashmir was not an economic issue but a "political problem" requiring a political solution for peace in the sub-continent.
"The lingering Kashmir issue is a grave threat to the entire region. This issue is neither an issue of economic concessions nor connected to steps like train service," moderate Hurriyat Chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq said here.
The Mirwaiz said the reality is that peace, prosperity and development of the entire region is linked to the resolution of the Kashmir issue.
"Unless the issue is addressed in its historical perspective and in accordance with the political realities, there is no possibility of restoration of everlasting peace and ending uncertainty," he said.
His remarks came in the wake of Modi saying, "Our priority is to win the hearts of every citizen of this state through development." The Prime Minister was addressing a gathering after inaugurating the Katra rail line project in Jammu.
The Mirwaiz urged the Centre to shun traditional approach on Kashmir and adopt a policy that reflects ground realities.
He said a "meaningful dialogue" was the only way forward to address the issue.
Criticising the clampdown on separatist leadership and imposition of restrictions in the city for Modi`s visit coinciding with the first Friday of the holy month of Ramzan, he said "arm-twisting tactics are bound to complicate the situation".
Meanwhile, hardline Hurriyat Conference Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani said Delhi "cannot win" the hearts of the people of Kashmir through development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway