`Serious approach needed to deal with Shopian situation`
Srinagar: Expressing concern over situation in Shopian where five persons were killed in firing by security forces, several mainstream leaders in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday said authorities need to adopt serious approach to deal with it.
"The situation demands an immediate and serious approach and any casual or adhoc advances to put the problem on the back-burner will only precipitate the crisis further," the leaders said in a joint statement.
CPI(M) State Secretary MY Tarigami, PDF chairman Hakim Mohammad Yasin, JKNDF Chairman Abdul Rashid Kabuli, State Samajwadi Party president Sheikh Abdul Rehman and State CPI secretary Abdul Rehman Tukru issued the joint statement on the prevailing situation in Shopian and surrounding areas.
They said the situation in south Kashmir demands that the "erring" CRPF personnel be identified and booked under law.
"If anyone has violated the law and has not been brought to book yet, it is an insult to the whole justice delivery system," they said.
The leaders said that people are "pessimistic" about the probe ordered by the state government into Shopian killings.
"People seem pessimistic about the fate of government probe ordered in Shopian incident. People now perceive, these probes and inquires are a handy weapon to cool down tempers and buy time," they said.
The leaders appealed to the democratic voices in the country to impress upon the Centre to create the conditions for a meaningful dialogue process with all shades of political opinion in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'