`Serious approach needed to deal with Shopian situation`
Srinagar: Expressing concern over situation in Shopian where five persons were killed in firing by security forces, several mainstream leaders in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday said authorities need to adopt serious approach to deal with it.
"The situation demands an immediate and serious approach and any casual or adhoc advances to put the problem on the back-burner will only precipitate the crisis further," the leaders said in a joint statement.
CPI(M) State Secretary MY Tarigami, PDF chairman Hakim Mohammad Yasin, JKNDF Chairman Abdul Rashid Kabuli, State Samajwadi Party president Sheikh Abdul Rehman and State CPI secretary Abdul Rehman Tukru issued the joint statement on the prevailing situation in Shopian and surrounding areas.
They said the situation in south Kashmir demands that the "erring" CRPF personnel be identified and booked under law.
"If anyone has violated the law and has not been brought to book yet, it is an insult to the whole justice delivery system," they said.
The leaders said that people are "pessimistic" about the probe ordered by the state government into Shopian killings.
"People seem pessimistic about the fate of government probe ordered in Shopian incident. People now perceive, these probes and inquires are a handy weapon to cool down tempers and buy time," they said.
The leaders appealed to the democratic voices in the country to impress upon the Centre to create the conditions for a meaningful dialogue process with all shades of political opinion in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi