`Serious approach needed to deal with Shopian situation`
Srinagar: Expressing concern over situation in Shopian where five persons were killed in firing by security forces, several mainstream leaders in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday said authorities need to adopt serious approach to deal with it.
"The situation demands an immediate and serious approach and any casual or adhoc advances to put the problem on the back-burner will only precipitate the crisis further," the leaders said in a joint statement.
CPI(M) State Secretary MY Tarigami, PDF chairman Hakim Mohammad Yasin, JKNDF Chairman Abdul Rashid Kabuli, State Samajwadi Party president Sheikh Abdul Rehman and State CPI secretary Abdul Rehman Tukru issued the joint statement on the prevailing situation in Shopian and surrounding areas.
They said the situation in south Kashmir demands that the "erring" CRPF personnel be identified and booked under law.
"If anyone has violated the law and has not been brought to book yet, it is an insult to the whole justice delivery system," they said.
The leaders said that people are "pessimistic" about the probe ordered by the state government into Shopian killings.
"People seem pessimistic about the fate of government probe ordered in Shopian incident. People now perceive, these probes and inquires are a handy weapon to cool down tempers and buy time," they said.
The leaders appealed to the democratic voices in the country to impress upon the Centre to create the conditions for a meaningful dialogue process with all shades of political opinion in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3