Sex determination tests: 78 clinics sealed in J&K
Srinagar: Voicing concern over the declining
sex-ratio in the state, the Jammu and Kashmir government on Saturday
said it has sealed 78 clinics for conducting pre-natal sex
determination tests in the last three months as a part of its
drive to check the practice, "more prevalent" in urban areas.
The government has sealed 78 diagnostic centres, for
conducting pre-natal sex determination tests, so far from
March in the state, Health Minister Sham Lal Sharma told
"Sex determination tests are more prevalent in civilised
(urban) areas of the state," he said, adding that effective
steps have been taken by the government to curb the practice.
As per Census 2011, the sex-ratio in Jammu and Kashmir
has dropped alarmingly to 869 females per 1,000 males from
859:1,000 in 2001.
The health minister said the government is taking all
necessary measures to change the negative trend.
"We are also conducting awareness campaigns against
female foeticide," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends