Shabir Shah taken into preventive custody
Srinagar: Senior separatist leader Shabir
Ahmad Shah and three of his associates were taken into
preventive custody Friday as he tried to address a congregation
at the Hazratbal shrine.
Shah, an executive member of the moderate faction of
the Hurriyat Conference, was detained soon after the Friday
prayers ended at Hazratbal, where people had assembled for
Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi celebrations, a senior police official
He said the police action was necessitated as there
was apprehension of breach of peace.
"Shah has been taken to Nishat police station," the
Three associates of Shah were also detained.
Meanwhile, thousands of Muslims offered prayers on the
last day of the 10-day Milad celebrations to mark the birthday
of Prophet Muhammad.
State government had made special arrangements for
the occasion, including a large fleet of SRTC buses which
ferried around 80,000 devotees to the shrine on the banks of
Paramedics and doctors were kept on standby to meet
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference