Shift helipad from Katra: J&K assembly panel
Jammu: Expressing concern over the noise and air pollution caused by chopper sorties in Katra- the base camp of Vaishno Devi shrine, a J-K Assembly Panel has recommended relocation of the helipad from the holy town.
"There is an urgent need for relocation of the helipad in order to minimise the daily sorties to prevent air and noise pollution in Katra town," a report of Committee on
It further noted that the people of the town had raised the issue of "uncontrolled" trips of helicopters leading to problems of noise and air pollution.
Two helicopter companies carry out dozens of sorties daily from Katra to Sanjichat and back ferrying hundreds of pilgrims to the cave shrine.
Also, the panel said, there is a need for taking preventive measures for creating healthy and hygienic environment in the town which is thronged by over 80 lakh
It further recommended the establishment of a sewerage treatment plant at an appropriate place in Katra town.
People of the town have held several protests and made representations to authorities demanding shifting of the helipad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice