Shinde discusses measures for zero infiltration into Kashmir
Srinagar: Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, at a unified headquarters meeting here Saturday, discussed measures to strengthen the fencing on the Line of Control (LoC) to ensure zero infiltration.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, senior officers of the army, paramilitary, police and central and state intelligence agencies took part in the meeting.
The unified headquarters is the apex security grid in the state providing coordination and synergy to security force operations against separatist guerrillas.
"Measures to ensure zero infiltration by strengthening the LoC fencing were discussed at the meeting," an official source said.
The issue of providing security to village `sarpanches` and `panches` in view of militant threats was also taken up.
"The home minister was informed about the steps taken to provide security to village representatives," the source said.
Sarpanches and panches across Kashmir had resigned after a sarpanch was murdered in Baramulla Sep 23.
Shinde then took stock of the efforts to conserve the Dal Lake.
"He went around the lake in a motor boat," an official said.
The water body is dying a slow death due to encroachment, discharge of effluents and weed growth.
The minister also paid obeisance at the Hazratbal Shrine.
Shinde`s three-day visit to the state began Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!