Shinde orders probe into BSF firing in J&K
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Thursday ordered a probe into the firing incident at Ramban district in Jammu and Kashmir.
Any use of excessive force or irresponsible action will be dealt with strictly, said Shinde.
"I have ordered an inquiry to be conducted without any loss of time to ascertain the circumstances leading to the firing.I assure that any use of excessive force or irresponsible action shall be dealt with strictly," he said in a statement issued here.
Expressing regret over the "unfortunate incident", the Home Minister said the loss of life in the incident was particularly sad and offered his deep condolence to the bereaved families.
"I appeal to the people to maintain peace and normalcy to be restored," he said.
Four people were killed and several others, including security personnel, injured in stone-pelting and the resultant firing today when a mob attacked a BSF camp in Ramban district over alleged high-handedness by a patrolling party.
The patrolling party of BSF deployed for the security of the (railway) project intercepted a youth roaming under suspicious circumstances in the Daram belt of Gool tehsil at around 1 am today, Minister of State for Home, Sajjad Ahmed Kitchloo said here.
The youth, identified as one Shabir, was questioned about his presence in the area and may have been beaten up by the security personnel, Kitchloo said.
The disturbance was fuelled by statements from a moulvi of a local madrasa who denounced the action of the security personnel as having been sacrilegious, thereby allegedly inciting the people, Kitchloo said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video