Shinde reviews development progress in Kargil
Srinagar: Union Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Saturday arrived on his maiden visit to Jammu and Kashmir after assuming the charge of the Home department and reviewed the development progress in Kargil district.
Soon after his arrival in Kargil, Shinde chaired a meeting of the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC), officials said.
The meeting was attended by Ladakh Affairs Minister Abdul Rahim Rather, CAPD Minister Qamar Ali Akhoon and officers of the district administration.
Kacho Ahmad Ali Khan, the Chief Executive Councillor of LAHDC Kargil, presented a memorandum to the Union Home Minister highlighting various issues and demands of Kargil region.
The demands included starting of air service, work on the second phase of Zojjila Tunnel from Baltal to Menamarg and recruitment of local youth in central forces, the officials said.
Khan also demanded helicopter service for Zanskar and opening of Kargil-Skardu Road.
Addressing the meeting, the Union Home Minister appreciated the role and sacrifices of the people of Kargil.
He said the government will always recognise their sacrifices and provide development opportunities to all sectors of society.
On the demands made before him, Shinde said the airport extension work will be completed within two years while the work on Zojjila Tunnel has started.
Later, the minister flew to Leh district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says