Shinde should hold decisive meeting with Omar on AFSPA: Soz
Jammu: Backing Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on his demand for partial revocation of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), state Congress Chief Saif-Uddin-Soz on Thursday said that Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde should hold a decisive meeting with the CM on the issue.
"My contention that Honourable Home Minister should hold a decisive meeting with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah that will also lead to asking where is the letter (on AFSPA)-- he must state it", Soz told reporters here.
"Union Home Minister must be correct-- no formal request has been made to him for revocation of AFSPA (from J&K Government)", Soz added.
Advocating the CM`s view that militancy has decreased and there is no need of AFSPA in some areas, the Congress MP said that CM`s perception be decisively discussed.
"Situation has improved-- graph of militancy has come down--When we will think over it-- when we will discuss over it-- then we will know where from it will be lifted and where not", he said.
"It is a temporary law, it cannot be made permanent-- it can go any time when needed-- there was no inconsistency in my statement when I last time spoke on it last year", he said.
Soz further added that all stakeholders must be consulted before taking this decision, including the Army, the Ministry of Defence and the people of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees