Shiva Temple opens in Srinagar after 22 years
Srinagar: As part of continuous efforts to revive the centuries-old harmony and brotherhood in the Kashmir Valley, a Shiva temple at Rainawari in the city here was thrown open on Saturday to public after a gap of 22 years.
The dilapidated temple was recently renovated by the Jammu and Kashmir Dharmarth Trust at a cost of Rs 18 lakhs.
Opening the temple, Rajya Sabha member Karan Singh said that in 1846, Maharaja Gulab Singh had set up Dharmarth Trust to look after the functioning of the various new and old temples so that the devotees can perform their religious activities.
He said the trust looks after 100 temples in the state including more than 20 temples of the Valley at Pahalgam, Gulmarg, famous Kheer Bhawani, Sathoo Barbarshah in Srinagar.
The temples like Shri Amarnath Ji and Vaishnov Devi are being run by the Trusts established by the government of Jammu and Kashmir through an Act and maintained that one crore devotees visited Mata Vaishno Devi while five lakh pilgrims paid obeisance at the holy cave of Amarnathji, Singh said.
He said Jammu and Kashmir has a unique identity of thousands of years of composite culture and a number of holy shrines including Alamdar-i-Kashmir Sheikh Noor?ud-Noorani at Charar-e-Sharief, which has been reconstructed after it was gutted in a fire incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations