Shootout in downtown Srinagar, cop killed
Srinagar: A police officer was killed on Friday when separatist guerrillas shot at him near a police station in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital, police said.
"Separatist guerrillas fired from close range at Sukhpal singh, Assistant Sub-Inspector of Police, near the Bagyaz police station in the city Friday. He was taken to hospital for treatment, but he later succumbed to his injuries, " a police officer informed reporters.
Hospital sources claimed that that Sukhpal Singh received three bullet injuries and was brought in a critical condition.
No separatist group has accepted responsibility till now.
With the mountain passes reopening as spring begins, security sources have been put on high alert to thwart infiltration into the Kashmir Valley.
With IANS Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'