Shootout in downtown Srinagar, cop killed
Srinagar: A police officer was killed on Friday when separatist guerrillas shot at him near a police station in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital, police said.
"Separatist guerrillas fired from close range at Sukhpal singh, Assistant Sub-Inspector of Police, near the Bagyaz police station in the city Friday. He was taken to hospital for treatment, but he later succumbed to his injuries, " a police officer informed reporters.
Hospital sources claimed that that Sukhpal Singh received three bullet injuries and was brought in a critical condition.
No separatist group has accepted responsibility till now.
With the mountain passes reopening as spring begins, security sources have been put on high alert to thwart infiltration into the Kashmir Valley.
With IANS Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...