Shopian deaths: Omar asks DC to prepare report on compensation
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday directed the Shopian Deputy Commissioner to prepare a comprehensive report for providing compensation to the next of kin of those killed in recent firing incidents.
"The Chief Minister gave directions to the District Development Commissioner, Shopian, for preparing a report for providing compensation to the affected," an official spokesman said.
Omar issued the directions after a team of ministers and legislators, who visited the affected town yesterday, submitted a report to him, the spokesman said.
The team, led by Haj and Auqaf minister Peerzada Mohammad Syed, apprised the Chief Minister of the prevailing situation in Shopian, he said.
Four persons were killed in firing by CRPF personnel outside their camp on September 7 allegedly in retaliation to a militant attack.
Another person died when the para-military force resorted to firing to disperse protesters outside the camp on September 11.
Shopian town has been under curfew since September 8, barring September 11 when the authorities lifted curfew but protests and subsequent firing led to another death and reimposition of the restrictions in the town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'