Shopian killings: Geelani to submit memorandum to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Monday said he would submit a memorandum on the killings of unarmed youths in Kashmir to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon at the organisation`s office here.
Geelani has asked his supporters to assemble at his Hyderpora residence on Wednesday, from where he plans to lead a rally to the UN office at Sonwar here to submit a memorandum addressed to Moon, a Hurriyat spokesman said.
He said that the memorandum, which is to be submitted at the office of the UN Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP), will highlight the recent Shopian killings along with the "grave human rights violations" in Kashmir.
The objective is to attract world attention towards the demand for the resolution of the Kashmir issue, he said.
Geelani has also called protests after Friday prayers and a general strike on Saturday, the spokesman added.
Describing the curfew and restrictions in Shopian and other parts of south Kashmir as the "worst example of state terrorism", Geelani demanded complete demilitarisation of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?