Shopian killings: Geelani to submit memorandum to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Monday said he would submit a memorandum on the killings of unarmed youths in Kashmir to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon at the organisation`s office here.
Geelani has asked his supporters to assemble at his Hyderpora residence on Wednesday, from where he plans to lead a rally to the UN office at Sonwar here to submit a memorandum addressed to Moon, a Hurriyat spokesman said.
He said that the memorandum, which is to be submitted at the office of the UN Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP), will highlight the recent Shopian killings along with the "grave human rights violations" in Kashmir.
The objective is to attract world attention towards the demand for the resolution of the Kashmir issue, he said.
Geelani has also called protests after Friday prayers and a general strike on Saturday, the spokesman added.
Describing the curfew and restrictions in Shopian and other parts of south Kashmir as the "worst example of state terrorism", Geelani demanded complete demilitarisation of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre