Shopian killings: Separatists give call for shutdown
Srinagar: Separatist outfits, including both factions of the Hurriyat Conference, on Saturday called for a shutdown in Kashmir Valley to protest the killing of four persons in Shopian district.
Opposition PDP and CPI-M also condemned the killings with the left party demanding a time-bound judicial probe into the incident.
Four persons, including two civilians, were killed when militants attacked a CRPF camp in Shopian district today.
Unidentified ultras fired at the CRPF camp at Gagran in Shopian and the security personnel retaliated, CRPF Inspector General Nalin Prabhat told PTI.
Two suspected militants and as many civilians were killed in the incident, IGP Kashmir A G Mir said.
Protests erupted in the town and adjoining areas soon after the incident with residents questioning the version of the security forces.
"There will be a strike tomorrow against the killing of four persons," Hurriyat factions headed by Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Syed Ali Shah Geelani said in separate statements.
JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik also called for a shutdown in the Valley.
Demanding a time-bound judicial inquiry, CPI-M state secretary M Y Tarigami said "those responsible for the heinous act should be brought to book."
PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti condemned the killings and said she had received a number of calls from the residents of the Shopian town to "narrate a version that belies government story" that the slain youths were militants carrying arms.
"On a day when entire Kashmir has been imprisoned in the name of establishing peace through music, it was natural fallout of the situation that all Kashmir residents are viewed as suspects and the four innocent youths have fell victim to that mind set," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference