Shopian shooting: Judicial commission adjourns proceedings
Srinagar: The one-man judicial commission, probing the killing of four youths in a firing incident in Shopian district of Kashmir in September last year, on Thursday adjourned the proceedings till February 13 as the petitioners were not present.
"The petitioners were not present and the government has not yet issued the formal orders for engaging public prosecutor Shopian as the prosecutor for this case. I adjourned the case till February 13," Justice ML Koul, who is conducting the probe, told a news agency.
He said the public prosecutor for Shopian had been instructed to discharge the duties of prosecutor before the Commission but has not received formal orders so far from the government.
Four persons were killed at Gagran in Shopian district, 55 kms from here, on September 7 on the day when renowned orchestra conductor Zubin Mehta performed at famed Shalimar gardens here.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah ordered a judicial probe into the killings after the CRPF claim -- that all the deceased were militants -- was contested by local residents of Shopian.
While police admitted there was no record of involvement in militancy for the three deceased local youth, it maintained the fourth youth was a Pakistani militant.
The commission has been appointed to find out the circumstances leading to the killing of four youth, ascertain the identity of the deceased and if they had any involvement in militancy.
The commission has also been asked to fix responsibility for any act of misuse of authority by the CRPF personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read