Shopian shooting: Judicial commission adjourns proceedings
Srinagar: The one-man judicial commission, probing the killing of four youths in a firing incident in Shopian district of Kashmir in September last year, on Thursday adjourned the proceedings till February 13 as the petitioners were not present.
"The petitioners were not present and the government has not yet issued the formal orders for engaging public prosecutor Shopian as the prosecutor for this case. I adjourned the case till February 13," Justice ML Koul, who is conducting the probe, told a news agency.
He said the public prosecutor for Shopian had been instructed to discharge the duties of prosecutor before the Commission but has not received formal orders so far from the government.
Four persons were killed at Gagran in Shopian district, 55 kms from here, on September 7 on the day when renowned orchestra conductor Zubin Mehta performed at famed Shalimar gardens here.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah ordered a judicial probe into the killings after the CRPF claim -- that all the deceased were militants -- was contested by local residents of Shopian.
While police admitted there was no record of involvement in militancy for the three deceased local youth, it maintained the fourth youth was a Pakistani militant.
The commission has been appointed to find out the circumstances leading to the killing of four youth, ascertain the identity of the deceased and if they had any involvement in militancy.
The commission has also been asked to fix responsibility for any act of misuse of authority by the CRPF personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues