Shutdown in old city area of Srinagar
Srinagar: Business establishments and shops
in some parts of old Srinagar city on Saturday observed a shutdown
against the alleged high-handedness of security forces during
clashes with supporters here, official sources said.
A group of youth blocked the roads around Jamia Masjid,
Nowhatta and Gojwara while the shops remained closed to
protest against police and CRPF action yesterday, the sources
They said the local residents accused the law enforcing
agencies of ransacking the houses and shops in their areas
during clashes with stone-pelting protestors.
Some youth took to the streets after Friday prayers to
protest against the house arrest of moderate Hurriyat
Conference chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. Two persons were
injured in the clashes.
Meanwhile, hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed
Ali Shah Geelani continued to be under house arrest with
police preventing him from addressing a press conference at
his Hyderpora residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?