Shutdown in old city area of Srinagar
Srinagar: Business establishments and shops
in some parts of old Srinagar city on Saturday observed a shutdown
against the alleged high-handedness of security forces during
clashes with supporters here, official sources said.
A group of youth blocked the roads around Jamia Masjid,
Nowhatta and Gojwara while the shops remained closed to
protest against police and CRPF action yesterday, the sources
They said the local residents accused the law enforcing
agencies of ransacking the houses and shops in their areas
during clashes with stone-pelting protestors.
Some youth took to the streets after Friday prayers to
protest against the house arrest of moderate Hurriyat
Conference chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. Two persons were
injured in the clashes.
Meanwhile, hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed
Ali Shah Geelani continued to be under house arrest with
police preventing him from addressing a press conference at
his Hyderpora residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi