Shutdown in south Kashmir`s Shopian town
Srinagar: South Kashmir`s Shopian town observed a total shutdown Friday in response to a call given by separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani.
Shops, educational institutions and banks were closed following the shutdown call. Geelani ordered the shutdown as part of his resistance programme against the alleged delay in delivering justice to the rape and murder victims Nilofar Jan, 22, and her sister-in-law Asiya Jan, 17. Both women were found dead by the side of a local stream near the town May 30.
Geelani had told a media conference here last week that he would address people in Shopian today and would also announce the calendar for his proposed resistance programme for vacation of land occupied by security forces in the Kashmir Valley.
Authorities have made tight security arrangements in and around Shopian town to maintain law and order.
Geelani is scheduled to address the Friday prayer meeting in the town today. Authorities have detained some of the leaders of his Hurriyat group in order to thwart the hardline separatist leader`s programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY