Shutdown in Srinagar over youth`s arrest for stone-pelting
Srinagar: Many areas of Srinagar city on Tuesday observed a complete shutdown over the arrest of a youth allegedly involved in stone-pelting, officials said.
A complete shutdown is being observed in Nowhatta, Gojwara and adjoining areas around the historic Jamia Masjid in the old city here, sources said.
While shops and other business establishments are shut in these areas, traffic movement has also been affected as people staged protests against police after a youth Asif Qazi was yesterday arrested by security forces from his shop, the sources said.
The traders` body in the area has called for a complete shutdown, demanding immediate release of Qazi.
Qazi was wanted in connection with stone-pelting cases, according to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price